Viewing a property is exciting and key to finding the right home for you. However, there are still some essential things you need to look for to make sure it is right for you.
Here are our top tips:
- Remember to thoroughly look over the outside of a property as well as the interior;
- Even if you are buying alone, take someone with you on a viewing to get another pair of eyes looking for things you may miss;
- Check for damp. It can be a big concern and expensive to remedy if you miss it. Look out for mould, musty smells or dark patches on walls and ceilings;
- Don’t forget about the structure of the property. Keep an eye out for cracks, even hairline cracks, on the walls, around windows and doors and on the ceilings. These may need further investigation. If in doubt, get a full structural survey carried out on the property to put your mind at rest;
- Many people think that having a mortgage valuation means they have had a full structural survey carried out on the property. Unfortunately this is not the case. Take a look at the different property surveys available;
- Allow yourself plenty of time, not just to view the property but also to look around the local neighbourhood and the amenities available in the area;
- Have more than one viewing so that you can see anything you may have missed on the first viewing and ask any further questions you may now have. It can also be helpful to view the property at different times of the day to see any changes in different lights or surrounding area noise and traffic levels;
- If there is any ambiguity over anything, such as rights of way, parking availability, ownership of the garden etc., ensure any answers to your queries are answered in writing.
Are you looking for mortgage advice? Have a look at the Just Mortgages website for more information.
Next steps: Offer accepted. What's next?
YOUR HOME MAY BE REPOSSESSED IF YOU DO NOT KEEP UP REPAYMENTS ON YOUR MORTGAGE. Howards introduce to Just Mortgages Direct Limited which is an appointed representative of The Openwork Partnership, a trading style of Openwork Limited, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Just Mortgages Direct Limited Registered Office: Colwyn House, Sheepen Place, Colchester, Essex, CO3 3LD. Registered in England No. 2412345